Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Golden City


Its been two weeks since I'm back from San Francisco and I realized I haven't really reflected on my trip. I guess this will be the reflection and highlights of my mini summer vacation.

Prior to going I had blog about difficulties with using airmiles and finding the flights, well that was all solved and I realized that despite going a little longer than I had wanted to, there was a plan to it. One of my summer goals was to get out of the city, and as this opportunity had arised, I wouldn't have let it slip just because of a later departure. Also, when I had planned this trip, I thought it be quiet going alone or not as exciting. I didn't know if I would get bored of my auntie, or if my auntie would not be use to having another body in the house as she lives alone. One of my friends had wanted to come later and join me, but she got a full time job so timing didn't work out. I had even brought some work todo in San Fran for the days I would be on my own when my aunt would be at work, but fortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to just sit around and work on "work" during my trip of course (what was I thinking?!).




Each day I had activities to do, places to see, destinations to explore, and food to enjoy, it was itinerary-ful. I'm really thankful that my auntie catered to me and brought me out and about. She took care of me and enriched me in many areas regarding my family, history, education, life-she is a very well rounded lady and I'm happy I got to know her more as I don't see her very often. Sometimes I did find myself becoming Americanized-she is very American. We travelled to nearby cities together, all of them are so close: San Jose, San Mateo, Millbrae, etc. She lived in San Mateo which was about half an hour from San Fran but the cities are probably like the distance between Edmonton and St.Albert, or even shorter so it was very convenient. Each city had farmer markets and events going on during the weekends and lots and lots of food! There's food everywhere, the US is rich in franchises and local eateries. I was pretty much bloated by the end of my time there.





My favorite tourist attraction was Fisherman's Wharf. This was a harbour/pier along the coast of San Fran and was busy with seafood and more seafood. This city is always full of tourist, but this was where it was at. Ghiradelli Chocolate Square, The Wine Cannery, Aquarium, Lazy Sea Lions, Bakeries, Souvineir shops, a park area to enjoy the sunshine, performers and artists on the street-you name it! I was lucky to experience some of the hottest weather during my stay, the ocean breeze was nice at times, yet brutally cold when crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. Speaking of which, I highly recommend Sausalito (see the photo below), an island area that's on the other side of the bridge where a lot of the really wealthy people live. Its so warm and relaxing and the view is absolutely stunning! Enjoying my clam chowder in a bread bowl and reflecting on where I was was amazing.





When I ventured on those hop on/hop off day tours, I gained a lot of knowledge about the history of this city. The population of San Fran is only about 850 000, but each day it reaches TWO MILLION due to tourists like me. As well, the demographic is quite young, with more couples owning pets than having children, thus pet markets and commodities are huge with dog spas and dog sitters. Lots of celebrities and high socialites tend to have made some kind of impact or influence here too, either it be Marilyn Monroe taking pictures with her husband infront of a church on street 666 (ironic eh? also, they couldn't marry in the church as one of them was divorced) or this sugar tycoon who owned a sugar company and married a girl 22 years younger than him, hence the arrival of the term "Sugar Daddy." All in all it was a very insightful city and I must say, I LOVE THE VICTORIAN ARTCHITECTURES!





Well that pretty much wraps it up, yet I had forgotten grade school had ended already the week I was leaving so when I arrived to the airport 60min before my flight (yes, I could've been earlier), there were line ups and more line ups inside and outside. People were lining up outside the doors to checkin. My flight was at 8:33am and I checked in close to 8, and I still had to go through security. Luckily (and funny story) this Indian family was going to Honolulu and families were called to go to a shorter line so they said I could follow them and pretend I was traveling with them so I did. When we arrived at the free-line up line, the security guard was looking at me oddly and was like "your with them? (directing at the Indian family, obviously I'm not a child of theirs), I said no, I was just following them so he directed me to the regular line and it was 8am already and I had to board in 10minutes! However, this lady infront of me, her flight was at 9am and she was worried she wouldn't get through security on time so she talked to one of the airport workers and he let her go through the firstclass/business line (with way less people), and I was like, oh I think I should go in that line too, my flight is at 8:30, and he was like "your joking right?" I'm like, no and I showed him my ticket and he was like, "your late!, get in that line."

That's what I get for traveling alone and being late. Well, I made it back, that is what counts!

I hope You have a great trip this summer wherever life takes you to!

I would totally recommend San Francisco! I didn't even go to all the places I wanted to visit-the city itself IS a tourist attraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment